The Greek Association of
Dance Therapists was founded back in 1993. It is a Professional
Association being a Full Professional Member of the European
Association of Dance Movement Therapy (EADMT), as well as a member of
The American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA).
The Greek Association of
Dance Movement Therapists aims in:
- Safeguarding its members’ professional
interests, in the framework of offering high standard mental health
services to the community.
- Diffusing and establishing the discipline of
Dance Movement Therapy in Greece, while providing the community with
experiential workshops and educational programs.
- Creating a current reciprocal relationship
between DMT profession, social reality & the community’s needs.
- Maintaining a high standard training program in
Dance Movement Therapy.
- Developing an updated and ongoing professional
- Supporting its professional members by
organizing continuing professional education and supervision workshops.
- Encouraging professional DMTs through the
awarding of scholarships.
- Being part of exchange and cooperation programs
with corresponding foreign Associations.
- Being updated to current literature and
research in the fields of body, movement, art and psychotherapy, as
well as other related fields.
- Being in contact & forming working
groups with other professionals in The Art Therapies, along with the
relevant Ministries, seeking formal recognition and accreditation of
the Dance Movement Therapist profession.
The activities of The
Greek Association of Dance Movement Therapists include:
- Participation in Greek and International
Conferences with Lectures, Presentations and Workshops.
- Presentation of the discipline of DMT in
Television and Radio broadcasts.
- Publication of articles in scientific journals
and the daily press.
- Book publications.
- Organization of workshops with local and
international renowned Dance Movement Therapists.
- Organization and Supervision of Training
Programs & educational modules.
- Keeping an ongoing link and cooperation with
other International Associations.
- Sustaining an ongoing connection with other
professionals in The Art Therapies.
- Library access to our professional members and
trainees in DMT.
- Keeping professional members updated through
our website & newsletter, regarding current conferences,
workshops, lectures, article publications, placements & job
- Obtain funding for DMT’s placements in various
mental health institutions, by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Where is the DMT’s place
Dance Movement Therapists in
Greece, are mostly working in mental health settings such as:
- Psychiatric Institutions & Clinics
- Day Centers
- Prevention, Rehabilitation &
Reintegration Units for substance abuse
- in Special Education Schools
- in nursery schools
- in Social Care Units for the physically
- in special units taking care of patients
suffering from cancer, Parkinson disease, Alzheimer
- in nursing homes with the elderly
- in NGO’s providing social support to the
- in community settings for immigrants &
- in difficult settings such as prisons
- with socially marginalized populations, such as
The training is offered to
graduates principally from the fields of psychological sciences, the
arts and generally from social and humanistic studies.
The three-year postgraduate
program in Dance Therapy is equivalent to the corresponding European
Association Of Dance Therapists
178 Kifissias Ave.
152 31 Halandri
(at the Halandri - Νeo Psychiko border)
Tel: (+30) 210 6743 149